For as long as people have traded tips and tricks on how to stay looking good (and that’s a very long time!), myths and misconceptions have spread far and wide. Once they enter the public consciousness, these little pieces of misinformed wisdom can take on a life of their own, evolving and mutating until they are taken for granted as basic truths. Well, now is the time to say ‘no more!’ Let’s revisit six common myths, often repeated as fact, to ask if they really are grounded in reality.
Does chocolate make you break out?
Chocolate makes your skin break out: The truth is, it doesn’t. While it may be true that an unhealthy diet will often irritate your skin and make it flare up (and chocolate might be part of that unhealthy diet) but eating a bar of chocolate won’t make you instantly break out in spots. As long as you are eating it in moderation and alongside a healthy variety of fruit and veg, it shouldn’t cause you any issues.
Does shaving make hair grow thicker and darker?
Shaving makes your hair grow back thicker and darker: Also not true. Your hair may seem thicker and darker, but it is actually just the blunt angle at which it’s been cut that is making it appear this way. Waxing is a great option if you hate this side effect of shaving, since waxing, over time, weakens the hair follicles, and your hair will grow back weaker and thinner.
Does cucumber help refresh your skin?
Unfortunately, cucumber is only used in this way (over the eyes) because of its capacity to stay cold – not because it retains magical “refreshing” properties. A cold flannel would do you just as good believe it or not.
Do I have to wash my hair twice?
Often on the back of Shampoo bottles it can say “lather, rinse, repeat” – but believe it or not, this is not a clever marketing tactic to increase sales. The first time you shampoo your hair the you’re stripping your hair of oil and dirt. The second time (if you choose to wash twice) the shampoo can actually get to work cleaning and nourishing your hair.
Do men need to use a hair conditioner?
All people (with hair) should use conditioner. Often, if you only use shampoo – it can dry out your hair and your scalp. A little dab of conditioner can add a bit of much needed moisturiser – which can do your hair wonders. If you don’t like all the effort – then try buying a 2-in-1, that can do both.
Using Vaseline on your face will prevent wrinkles and aging
Vaseline is a very powerful moisturiser because it literally forces your skin to absorb the oils inside it. Marilyn Monroe
allegedly used Vaseline on her face every night to prevent aging – but we would recommend against it. Although it may temporarily make the skin look smoother, it won’t have any permanent effect nor will it be as effective in the long term as a cream within a proven active ingredient. It may also cause other problems and beauty issues – such as breakouts.
- The Importance of Investing in a Good Quality BraAre you looking for a new bra? Are you sick of buying ones that don’t last? Well, maybe it’s time that you invest in a top quality bra that will do exactly what you want: support your chest with the utmost comfort. Here we are going to explore the importance of investing in a top-quality bra. Posted in Fashion
- Burgundy Is The Ultimate Colour for FallBid a goodbye to bright colours of spring and summer and gear yourself to welcome fall and winter with darker palette of hues. From Tory Burch and Zuhair Murad to Diane von Furstenberg and Kenzo, burgundy designs were sent down the numerous runways taking a modern stance on elegant […] Posted in Fall Fashion
- Floral Shoes: Pumps, Sandals and WedgesFloral patterns can be visually pleasing and are often associated with positive emotions such as beauty and happiness. Wearing floral shoes, therefore, serve as a way for some women to express their appreciation for these qualities or to add a cheerful and playful element to their […] Posted in Shoes & Accessories
- How To Look Cool In Aviator SunglassesWhen you think of sunglasses, there is perhaps one style that comes to mind: Aviators. They were originally developed and sold by Ray-Ban and since the beginning aviators have been some of the ultimate fashion accessories. There’s nothing quite like wearing sunglasses designed for […] Posted in Shoes & Accessories
- Dressing As a High-Value WomanDressing as a high-value woman can mean different to different people, but generally, it means presenting yourself in a way that reflects your confidence, self-respect, and personal style. Spending a hefty amount is not the only way to achieve the look of a high-value woman rather, […] Posted in Fashion
- 7 Fall 2022 / Winter 2023 Fashion Week On-Trend Party DressesShow off your fashion savvy by choosing a perty-perfect dress following the latest trends. Whatever your choice is: a sexy slip dress, a sheer party dress, an asymmetric dress or a shimmery dress, you'll be flattering with high-fashion sensibility. Posted in Shopping